Fortresses In Serbia
Find us on Google+
Find us on Twitter
Across Serbia there are some 200 sites preserving the remains of old fortresses and fortified towns dating back to ancient times. However, following many centuries of war and destruction, only those fortresses which retained their military function into the Middle Ages, under Turkish rule, have been preserved.
Most of these fortifications were extended and adapted as military technology developed, and in doing so lost their original mediaeval appearance. Some of them were the antecedents of contemporary Serbian towns, which even today boast portions of old walls and towers.
Fortresses In Serbia
Smederevo Fortress (Serbian: Smederevska tvrdjava), in Smederevo, Serbia, was a medieval fortified city and temporary capital of Serbia in the Middle Ages. It was built between 1427 and 1430, on the order of Despot Djurad Brankovic, the ruler of the Serbian Despotate.
It was further fortified by the Ottoman Empire, that had taken the city, in the end of the century.
Smederevo is the largest medieval lowland type of fortresses in Europe.
Golubac Fortress (Serbian: Golubacki grad) was a medieval fortified town on the south side of the Danube River, 4 km downstream from the modern-day town of Golubac, Serbia.
The fortress, which was most likely built during the 14th century, is split into three compounds which were built in stages.
It has ten towers, most of which started square, and several of which received many-sided reinforcements with the advent of firearms.
Belgrade Fortress (Serbian: Beogradska tvrdava), represent old citadel (Upper and Lower Town) and Kalemegdan Park (Large and Little Kalemegdan) on the confluence of the River Sava and Danube, in an urban area of modern Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is located in Belgrade's municipality of Stari Grad.
Belgrade Fortress was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia
Where to stay in Belgrade
Petrovaradin Fortress (Serbian: Petrovaradinska tvrdava) is a fortress in Novi Sad, Serbia. It is located in the province of Vojvodina, on the right bank of the Danube river.
The cornerstone of the present-day southern part of the fortress was laid on October 18, 1692, by Charles Eugene de Croy.
Petrovaradin Fortress has many underground tunnels as well (16 km of underground countermine system).
In 1991 Petrovaradin Fortress was added to Spatial Cultural-Historical Units of Great Importance list, and it is protected by the Republic of Serbia.
The Vrsac Castle (Serbian: Vršacki zamak) formerly known as "Vrsac Tower" is a medieval fortress near Vrsac, Vojvodina, Serbia. Only Donjon tower remained from the entire complex, but in 2009 reconstruction started, to recreate the entire Vršac Castle.
Vrsac Castle was declared a Monument of Culture of Great Importance in 1991, and is protected by the Republic of Serbia
Soko Grad, also known as Sokolac, is a medieval city and fortress located 2 km east of the spa town of Sokobanja, Serbia. Fortress was declared Monument of Culture of Great Importance in 1982, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia
Momchilov grad (Momchilo's fortress) is situated in Pirot, Serbia. It was built in the 14th century by Bulgarian brigand and local ruler Momchil. In 1344, the regency concluded a further alliance with Bulgaria, which required the surrender of Philippopolis (Plovdiv) and nine other towns in northern Thrace along the river Evros. Nevertheless, after their occupation, Ivan Alexander refrained from direct action against John VI Kantakouzenos' forces operating in southern and eastern Thrace.
At the same time, Momchil, a former brigand whom Kantakouzenos had entrusted with control over the Merope (region) in the Rhodope mountains, switched over to the regency.
It was supposed to serve as a defense against the Turks on the busy road which led from Belgrade to Constantinople.
Pirot Fortress was declared Monument of Culture of Great Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.
Nis Fortress (Serbian: Niška tvrdava) is a fortress in the city of Nis, Serbia. It is a complex and important cultural and historical monument. It rises on the right bank of the Nisava River, and is over two millennia old.
The extant fortification is of Turkish origin, dating from the first decades of the 18th century (1719–1723). It is well known as one of the most significant and best preserved monuments of this kind in the mid-Balkans.
The Fortress was erected on the site of earlier fortifications - the ancient Roman, Byzantine, and later yet Mediaeval forts.
Krusevac Fortress or City of Prince Lazar (Serbian: Kruševacki grad) was a medieval fortified town in Krusevac, Serbia, former capital of Prince Lazar.
Within the city there is the court church Lazarica. Today, all that remains of the town is very small ruins.
The Diana Fortress (Serbian: Tvrdava Diana) is a Roman castrum built in 100-101 AD, located in Kladovo, in eastern Serbia.
It is located on cliffs of the Djerdap, above the Danube, in the Karatas archaeological site near Kladovo. The main buildings were built on a strategic location overlooking the Danube frontier with stone in 100 AD during the reign of Roman Emperor Trajan, who had a military camp located at the vicinity.
Further modifications were made at the end of the 3rd and beginning of the 4th century when additional towers were added towards the river for extra defence towards the Danube shores.
At the mid 4th century the fort was damaged by the invading Huns and in 530 AD rebuilt by Emperor Justinian.
Bac Fortress (Serbian: Backa tvrdava) is the medieval fortress in Serbia, Vojvodina. It is located in the town of Bac.
Medieval fortress in Bac is known as one of the great fortress of its time in Pannonian plain. It was built by the town of the same name to the west, on a small island on the river Mostonga.
The Fortress in Bac is known as one of the so-called "Water Towns", because it used to be surrounded by the Mostonga river on all sides, approachable only by the drawbridges.
Maglic is a 13th-centuary castle about 20 km south of Kraljevo, Serbia. The castle is located atop a hill around which the Ibar river makes a curve, about 100 m above the river.
The fortress protected the only road that connected the Great Morava Valley and Kosovo polje.
Its name means The Foggy One from the Serbian word "Magla", meaning fog.
Maglic was included on the list of Cultural Monuments of Exceptional Importance in 1979.
The Ram Fortress is situated on a steep slope on the right bank of the River Danube, in the municipality of Veliko Gradište, Serbia. The place first finds its reference in Trajanic times as a settlement where the cavalry units were stationed. In the year 1128 CE, it is mentioned as being in the area where the Byzantines defeated the Hungarians.
Sultan Bayazid II (1480–1512) built the present fortifications of Ram Fortress, in the form of a regular pentagon designed to withstand cannon warfare. The side towards the land has a low wall with a wide moat in front of it.
Apart from the place, where the fortress is entered, there are four corner towers. Masonry fireplace – rare in the medieval buildings of this region – are preserved in them.
The interior of the fortress was demolished during the Koca rebellion in 1788, and a caravanserai, which is built in the same way as the fortress, is found in its vicinity.
Mountain resorts Serbia
The vast majority of Serbia’s territory is dominated by mountains, from the Pannonian hills in the north all the way to the borders with Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia in the south. Serbia’s mountains belong to the Rhodopes, Carpathian, Balkan and Dinaric mountain ranges.
Things to Do in Belgrade
Churches in Belgrade
Monasteries in Vojvodina
Monastery Eparchy of Banat
Spas Health resorts Serbia
Rivers and lakes Serbia